Strawberries are versatile when it comes to cooking and baking. We share some yummy recipes
This is used for some of the other recipes, so make it first
- 1 punnet of fresh strawberries
- 1 cup of sugar
- Slowly bring to the boil over a low heat and simmer until strawberries are soft.
- Allow to cool and blend until the mixture becomes liquid.
Strawberry cream meringues
- 4 eggs, separated
- 125ml granulated sugar
- Strawberry sauce
- 250ml fresh cream, stiffly beaten
- Beat egg whites until light and fluffy, not stiff.
- Add the sugar gradually, beating thoroughly. Beat until the mixture is stiff and forms soft white peaks.
- Pipe meringues or spoon onto a baking sheet, lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake in a warm oven – 100ºC for up to two hours. Check regularly and when they start to turn off-white in colour, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the strawberry cream
- Add 50ml of strawberry sauce to 250ml of stiffly beaten cream.
- Use to sandwich meringues together. Decorate your meringues with fresh strawberries and drizzle with strawberry sauce.
Homemade strawberry jam
- Equal quantities of fresh, washed strawberries and sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Prepare bottles and lids by cleaning thoroughly and boiling for 10 minutes.
- Use a large pot to make the jam. Rub butter around the inside of the top of the pot (about 8cm wide), which stops the hot mixture from boiling over.
- Bring ingredients slowly to the boil, stirring all the time. Gently boil for about 2 hours.
- Test the syrup by putting a teaspoonful in a saucer and leaving in the fridge for 5 minutes until cool. If the syrup is slightly tacky to the touch and not stiff remove from heat and bottle. Fill the bottles to the top and seal immediately. Allow to cool before use.
Fresh strawberry milkshake
- 50ml strawberry sauce
- 100ml milk
- 150ml ice cream
- A handful of fresh strawberries
- Combine ingredients in a blender, adjusting the amount of strawberry sauce to taste. Add more milk for a thinner milkshake or more ice cream for a thicker milkshake.
- Decorate the inside of the glass by drizzling with strawberry sauce and pour in the milkshake mixture.
- Top with a strawberry and serve immediately.
Tangaroa (012) 207 1116
Register on the website, www.tangaroa.co.za, and the Krugers will let you know when the strawberries are ripe for the picking.
To find out more about Trixie’s arts and crafts, call 073 769 6063.