Sweet & sour Witloof stir-fry (serves 4-6)
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 500 g chicken, cut strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into strips
- 125 g angel hair pasta
- 440 g can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
- 125 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 heads Witloof
- about 160 ml (2/3 cup) pineapple juice
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) light brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) soya sauce
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) lemon juice
- 10 ml (2 tsp) cornflour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add chicken and fry until golden brown.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper and carrots and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Boil pasta in water until soft, drain and keep aside.
- Add pineapple and mushrooms to chicken and heat through.
- Trim off bottom ends of Witloof and cut leaves coarsely. Add to stir-fry.
Mix all ingredients together and add to stir-fry, heat through for a few minutes. Serve immediately on pasta.
Add or substitute any vegetables of choice, such as peppers, carrots and broccoli.