Veg & lentil soup
Not only is this soup packed with nutrients from all the veggies, it also freezes well. Put some away for those first weeks with your new baby when you won't have time to cook.
What you need:
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 6 baby marrows, wiped clean and cut into small cubes
- 125g green beans, topped and tailed then sliced
- 1 cup red lentils
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 cups stock of your choice (chicken, vegetable or beef) or water and 4 stock cubes
- 2 tins (800g) whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pesto to serve
What to do:
- Heat oil in large, heavy-based saucepan. Fry onions until golden brown. Add the red pepper, carrots, celery, potatoes, baby marrows and green beans in batches and fry each vegetable for a few minutes before adding the next.
- Add the red lentils and stir through then add the stock and tinned tomatoes, put a lid on, lower heat and simmer for about two hours.
- Season to taste and serve with a little pesto or grated Parmesan cheese.