Wholewheat soda bread
This bread is ideal for pregnant and lactating women because it does not contain yeast, which can aggravate a Candida infection.
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 2 cups cake flour, plus a little more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500ml buttermilk
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and sprinkle with flour.
- Use a balloon whisk to mix th ewholewheat flour, cake flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle, pour in the buttermilk and mix until the dough comes together. The dough should be soft, but not wet and sticky.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and pat and roll the dough with floury hands, just enough to tidy it up and give it a round shape. Flip over and flatten slightly to about 4cm in height. Transfer the loaf to the prepared baking sheet. Mark a deep crossusing a bread knife.
- Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and continue to bake for another 30-35 minutes until it’s browned and sounds hollow when you tap it. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes.