How can a stepmom and mom coexist peacefully?
Registered counsellor Heidi Van Der Merwe of JDM Pssych answers.
- Don't try to replace the relationship, rather build a new relationship with the child, based on new experiences.
- Treat the biological mother with respect, especially in front of the children, and urge the father to do the same.
- Be courteous and don't use the children as pawns if a disagreement arises between the parents.
- Accept the stepmom in a complementary role, not as a person replacing you.
- Treat the stepmom with respect, as the children will most likely do what you do.
- Try to set personal issues aside, don't argue in front of the children.