Choosing a girl
Sex selection techniques may not be for everyone, but this worked for me, says this mom of three.
It was the twinkle in my doctor's eye and the promise of a recipe that convinced me to try to have a little girl.
I adore my two boys but my family felt incomplete. I was yearning for a daughter. I needed frilly, pink things in my home. I wanted sugar and spice and all things nice.
With reporter’s notebook and pen in hand, I took down copious notes on The Shettles Method
. Hey, if my doctor was able to plan his two daughters and two sons, why couldn’t I?
The recipe didn't involve Chinese calendars, the moon, eating acidic or alkaline foods or (blush) douching with funny things.
My harassed husband also didn't have to come rushing home in the middle of the day, because it was 'time'.
Instead, armed with home ovulation test kits which I had bought from my pharmacy and working out my cycle, I embarked on ‘Project Baby Girl’.
I was meticulous about getting the timing right. It had to be the exact day; not a day early and definitely not a day late.
There has, naturally been a lot of research done on The Shettles Method and many say they don’t believe it actually works.
But if it’s something that you are prepared to take a risk with and you’ll be okay with a healthy baby
irrespective of the sex, here are some general pointers: The Shettles Girl Recipe
The Shettles Boy Recipe
- Girl sperm swims slower but lasts longer
- This means you should stop trying to conceive, two days before you ovulate
- This way the girl sperm will hang around until the boy sperm has died off and fertilise the egg
- Should your home ovulation test kit even hint that you’re about to ovulate, abstain from sex
- Boy sperm swims faster but dies quickly
- This means you should try to conceive the day before or on the day that you ovulate
- This means the boy sperm will get to the egg first
It’s much easier to conceive a boy when using The Shettles Method, so if it’s a girl you want, you’ll have to make sure that you monitor your cycle very, very closely.
My Ava is 4 years old now. She's adored by her brothers and is the light of our lives.
My home is softer now.
My family is complete.Did you try any methods to conceive a baby of a specific sex? Did they work?