Some typical signs that you may be pregnant.
You’ve seen the signs of ovulation
, but how do you know there’s a baby in the womb when you’re trying to conceive? Well, if life was a soap opera, it would be pretty predictable.
Scene one: A couple are kissing passionately. Seconds later...
Scene two: The woman enters the kitchen. She’s holding a glass of orange juice, but not drinking it. She’s also clasping her stomach.
“Bliss? Are you ok? You look a little pale this morning.”
“I... I don’t know what’s wrong, Chip, I feel like I’m going to throw up.”
That‘s the give-away: “I’m going to throw up”. In soapie-land, that’s code for “pregnant
No need for the anxiety of peeing on a stick, or trying to count backwards to a previous cycle. In soaps, pregnancy is rapidly confirmed
- They are neat and tidy affairs which shoot past without the challenges of bedrest or endless visits to the gynae
. One minute there’s mild nausea
, the next, someone is shouting for hot towels.
In real life,
how can you know you’re pregnant? If you are trying to conceive, no doubt any nausea is going to have you heading for the pharmacy for a pregnancy test
, but there are other signs, too:Pregnancy indicatorsMaybes (You may be pregnant if you’re experiencing):
• Missed, unusual or abnormal periods
• Soreness or enlargement in or , leaking from the breasts
• Skin changes or stretchmarks
• The need to urinate frequently
• Changes to your libido
• Nausea or vomiting
, strange cravings
• Enlarged uterus
• Fatigue, irritability or mood swingsHere are some more likely signs that you are probably pregnant:
• Enlarged abdomen
• Palpation of the baby (a midwife says she can feel a baby)
• Braxton Hicks contractionsAnd then there are signs that you are positively pregnant:
• Positive pregnancy test
• Foetal heart tones
• Ultrasound detection of a baby
• X-ray detection of a foetus
Some of the maybes are not great indicators: Nausea and irritability
may be related to a dodgy burger and not enough sleep rather than signs that you need to start stocking up on nappies, so
Do make sure that if you suspect you are pregnant, that you have this confirmed by a healthcare professional, who will be able to give you some tips on how to manage your pregnancy.
Don’t assume you are pregnant without confirmation. Although home pregnancy kits
are very accurate, a pregnancy confirmed by a doctor will give you peace of mind.What made you suspect that you could be pregnant?