Poison
A reaction to a poisonous substance that has been swallowed or come into contact with the skin.
Source

Poison

A reaction to a poisonous substance that has been swallowed or come into contact with the skin.

Symptoms:

  • Unusual behaviour like slurred speech, inappropriate giggling, staggering or drowsiness.
  • You may also know your child is poisoned by finding her near chemical containers or medicines or pills, or she may have pieces of broken plants in her hands or near her mouth.
  • It is very important to try and establish as quickly as possible what your child may have ingested.
  • Look for evidence.

Seriousness:

  • You must call an ambulance or take your child to hospital. 
  • You can call a poison info centre (0861 555 777 - 24 hours) for advice while you wait, if you know what your child has swallowed.

Treatment:

  • Don't make your child vomit as some poisons cause more harm on the way out. 
  • Don't give your child anything to drink as this may disperse the poison more quickly around the body. 
  • If your child's lips and mouth are burnt, soothe them by moistening them with milk or water, but don't let your child drink anything. 

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
 

week-by-week

Want to know what your baby looks like and what you can expect at this stage?

 
 
 

Directories

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.