Mom tells of horrific moment she found her baby dead
“I just knew and I started shouting ‘no, no’,”
PHOTO: Gallo/Getty Images
Source

Lauren Jordan and Kieran Jones took their baby, Harrison, into their bed for a cuddle. She intended to return him to his cot but accidentally fell asleep after a long and busy day.

When she woke up the next morning, the worst had happened.

The baby was dead.

“I could just tell from his colour that he wasn’t breathing – he wasn’t warm – but he wasn’t cold,” Lauren told Daily Mail.

“I just knew and I started shouting ‘no, no’,” Lauren said.

According to The Mirror Lauren said during an inquest at a court in Maidstone, Kent, they’d fed Harrison two bottles of milk – one earlier on in the evening and another later, around 10.30pm on 3 June.

But, little Harrison had refused to settle down. That’s when they decided to put him in between them while they watched television until he fell asleep.

“I woke up at about 4 or 4.20am. I looked into his cot as I’d dozed off before Kieran and I thought he would have put him back,” she told The Mirror.

But Harrison wasn’t in his cot and when Lauren looked back over at their bed, Kieran was fast asleep and Harrison was still lying in the bed on his back.

After realising that something was wrong, Lauren woke Kieran up and he attempted to save his son by attempting CPR for up to 15 minutes before handing the child over to paramedics, reports Cambridge News.  

Harrison was declared dead at Tunbridge Wells Hospital in the early hours of 4 June.

Assistant coroner for Mid Kent and Medway, Scott Matthewson, said in court that evidence from pathologist, Dr Mudher Al-Adrani had led him to conclude Harrison’s death was accidental.

He also added that the couple had to say goodbye in what was a “very sad case”, reports Daily Mail.

Scott further added that this “heartbreaking case” should serve as a warning to all parents not to take their babies into their bed.

According to Cambridge News, when speaking after the inquest, Lauren also issued a plea to parents to put babies in their own cots.

“We didn’t intend to fall asleep with him – but we were exhausted and it just happened.

“Sometimes it’s nice to get that bond. But people need to speak out to stop this from happening to other parents,” she said.

Sources: Cambridge News, Daily Mail, The Mirror

 

 

More on
baby death

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy
NEXT ON PARENT24X
 
 
 
 
Directories

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.