Lights Out, Fun On!
Some fun ideas when Eskom turns out the lights.
Look, we know that load shedding is no laughing matter. We are all too aware of the negative effects on the country’s economy, social morale and international image (not to mention the inconvenience).
The country is in the throes of its worst electricity crises since 2008 and outages are expected to last until 2017. Since Eskom started rolling out its various load shedding strategies, we have been wondering what is going to be next? Tips on how to improve our hunting/gathering skills? The fact is that load shedding is our current reality. So, when our trusted energy supplier takes us back to the stone-age, we should do what South Africans do best, use positivity and humour to cope with adversity.
Here are a few fun things to do instead of boring you with Eskom blah, blah, blah.
- Revel in the quiet! Use this time to reflect. Have you reached your goals or are you still striving towards them? Reconnect with yourself by reflecting on the past, present or future.
- Take a candle-lit, relaxing bubble bath. Use all the warm water left in the geyser, take a second and breathe. Enjoy the me-time; maybe even indulge in a glass of wine.
- Read a book. Many great thinkers and leaders studied under lamp posts and by candle light.
- Eat. No seriously! Don’t let that ice-cream in the freezer go to waste.
- Listen to someone’s drama. You finally have time to listen to one of those “It’s a long story” stories.
- Braai! Yes, throw your hands in the air, and step away from the stove to make your meals caveman-style. Invite a few friends over who are also dreading the smell of spoilt meat the next day.
- Go outside. Sit on the grass and look at the shapes of the clouds, go hiking or ride your bike. If the power cuts hits you in the pm, do some stargazing.
- Bring out the fun games. Before television and computer games, there were board games. So, dust off the Monopoly, 30 Seconds and Scrabble. Not into board games? Try a card game. Fun!
- Go out for dinner. No not takeaways! Restaurants are stepping up, those that don’t have generators offer an “Eskom Menu”. No need to cheat – Thanks Eskom!
- Create your bucket list.
- Have a cook off on your gas stove.
- Play hide and seek with your younger kids, it’s a lot more fun when it’s dark.
- Meditate. Restore your inner calm and peace.
- Make a bonfire. While staring into the flames, reflect on everything that you can be grateful for. (Saving on electricity bills could be one of them!)
- Listen to the radio.
- Call a friend, provided you have battery power left.
- Make sure that your laptop is charged. Swallow the time catching up on your favourite series.
- Have a romantic dinner with your loved one. One thing could lead to another… and in 9 months’ time, Eskom will need to supply to twice the population!
- Lastly, make a list of things to do when the power goes out…
The electricity apocalypse has presented us with an opportunity, a chance to slow down for a moment. Try to look on the bright side of no electricity and make the most of the “50 shades of darkness”.
See more healthy living tips at the Fedhealthy blog.