The first few minutes
In short, here’s what to expect in those first few minutes after birth.
- As soon as your baby's head emerges, the doctor suctions amniotic fluid, blood, and mucus from your baby’s nose and mouth.
- Unless your partner has asked to do it, the doctor clamps and cuts the umbilical cord and examines your newborn.
- Your baby’s first test will be an Agpar test.
- Your baby will be placed on your chest.
- If you and your baby are up to it, it is fine to have a first go at breastfeeding.
- Your baby will have his first bath.
Are you prepared for the birth of your little one? Are you excited? Scared? Talk in the box below.
- After your baby is born, more contractions help you deliver the placenta, or "afterbirth."
- If you had an episiotomy your doctor will stitch you up.
- You will have a heavy bloody vaginal discharge.