12 important questions to ask your doctor or midwife
Here is a list of questions to ask your gynae or caregiver.
- What are your philosophies and beliefs about birth?
- How much choice do you feel I should have in the decision-making process?
- What are your thoughts on pain relief during labour?
- What are you thoughts on electronic monitoring and when do you think it should be used?
- What is your induction rate and at what point do you feel induction of labour should be considered?
- What is your c-section rate and in what situations will you recommend a c-section?
- How do you feel about mothers being separated from their babies after having a c-section?
- What about immediate skin-to-skin contact if all is well?
- What is your episiotomy rate and in what situations would you perform one?
- Who is your back-up and will I get to meet him/her?
- When are you planning holidays in the next 12 months?
- Do you encourage the use of a birth wish list?