The world's first car seat to pram combo is headed to SA to revolutionise the way parents transport their babies.
Back in 2014, when my son was 4-months-old my husband showed me a really cool car seat that unfolded into pram. It was like magic! I wanted it! It was only available overseas, of course.
I grumpily just went on with my life struggling with the bulky travel system and a newborn baby. So you can only imagine my extreme excitement when I discovered that Dejon Distributors was bringing the Doona™ brand to South Africa.
The Doona is one of the simplest car seat to pram conversions I have ever seen. With a traditional travel system you would first have to get your massive pram out of the boot, set it up and then clip the car seat in.
I remember our very first trip to the mall with our 6-week-old. We hadn’t realised that in order to clip the car seat into the pram, it needed the tray attached. We had left the tray at home. Now what?
With the Doona you’re not going to have this problem. Just take it out and it unfolds with the touch of a button all while your baby is still inside.
Being classified as a Group 0+ carseat mean that the Doona will fit your baby up until 13kg (between 12 – 15 months) where as other infant car seats that come with traditional travel systems usually only last till around 9 months.
The Doona can be used in 3 modes:
- Car Seat mode – This mode is intended for use in a vehicle. The wheels are tucked under the Doona™ body and the handle is placed in Anti-Rebound mode and pressed against the vehicle seat back to prevent rebounding in case of a crash. Doona™ shouldn't be used in any other mode but car seat mode when in a vehicle.
- Pull-Along mode – This mode is intended for walking and manoeuvring in tight or crowded spaces. The wheels are out and the handle is in the vertically upright position to allow pulling the Doona™ right alongside the parent.
- On-the-Go mode – This mode is intended for walking in open spaces – just like a stroller. The wheels are out and the handle is extended in a 45-degree angle towards the parent.
Take a look at the video below to see these awesome features:
Aside from being simple to use and convenient, it is also very comfortable for baby. You see Doona’s newborn infant insert is specially designed to cradle and support newborns. It mimics the way baby has been sitting in the womb and this familiar position means that baby is less likely to fuss when in the seat.
The insert’s near-flat ergonomic design boosts a newborn’s upper and lower back and ensures that the baby’s neck and back are ergonomically aligned.
The infant insert is made from anti-bacterial, hypoallergenic, thermal regulating bamboo fabric, and it is safely anchored to the Doona to prevent involuntary shifting. Once baby reaches 5kg, the insert can easily be removed as it is not required for larger babies.
The Doona will be available in three colours in SA: in Storm (Grey), Sky (Turquoise) and Night (Black).
And to be extra stylish there are 9 different accessories that you can personalise your Doona with to fit your needs:
- All Day Bag - A full-sized diaper bag which connects to the body of the Doona to prevent tipping and reduced stability.
- Essentials Bag - A compact diaper bag which clips on the Doona handle and allows carrying your essentials when leaving the house for a few hours.
- Snap on Storage - An easily attachable/detachable storage compartment which facilitates carrying larger items.
- Travel Bag - A uniquely designed bag for carrying and storing the Doona. Ideal for checking in the Doona on flights.
- Rain Cover - A custom-fit clear cover which provides the baby excellent protection from rain and wind.
- Sunshade Extension - An innovative sunshade which connects to the Doona and provides the baby exceptional sunlight protection. Can be used in or out of the car.
- Insect Net - A stylish net protecting the baby from mosquitos, bees, wasps and other flying insects.
- Vehicle Seat Protector - A cover, made of water-repellant fabric, designed to be placed between the Doona and the vehicle seat and keep the latter clean.
- Wheel Covers - A set of wheel covers which clip on the Doona wheels while in the car in order to prevent dripping and dirt in the car.
The Doona will retail for R6999 which is competitive for the market and is available at the following stores:
Nationwide and online:Durban:
Mpumalanga: The Bay-bee Shop - Secunda
Gauteng: Baby Fantasy, A-Z Baby World, City Gifts and Toys-Centurion, Baby Depot-Vereeniging.
Cape Town: Kids Living - Greenpoint
If you want to win one of these amazing Doona's enter our competition here!