Mom set on fire during C-section
Woman whose abdomen started burning during birth fails to win lawsuit.

In what must be one of the most horrific birth accidents possible (and least anticipated), a woman’s abdomen burst into flames during her Caesarean section, according to Fortunately, Kira Reed gave birth to a healthy daughter 2 years ago, but she has just failed to win a lawsuit against her obstetrician, as he was “not responsible for prepping her for surgery”.

What happened?

In case you’re wondering how a woman can be set on fire during a C-section, here’s what happened:

Reed was prepped for surgery using an antiseptic skin preparation called DuraPrep. A month prior to Reed’s surgery, DuraPrep had issued a fire warning relating to the product. The product was found to be behind Reed’s abdomen bursting into flame during the op.

Nurses and an anaesthesiologist stated that they hadn’t been aware of a fire hazard associated with the product (which is commonly used in such procedures), and that they hadn’t been trained in how to use it in a manner which would prevent fires breaking out.


A plastic surgeon commenting on Reed’s injuries said they were similar to burns seen on napalm victims.

Reed reached a settlement with the hospital concerned, but the obstetrician was deemed not personally liable.

Would you reconsider an elective C-section knowing that you could risk being set on fire?

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.


Want to know what your baby looks like and what you can expect at this stage?



Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.