Pregnancy week 17
How's the foetus during week 17?
Growth-spurt for baby
Your baby weighs about 140g and is about 13 – 15cm from crown to rump- the size of a turnip.
• Your baby is going through a growth spurt this week and brown fat will deposit under the baby’s skin. This fat will help your baby to regulate her temperature after the birth.
• Blood circulation is now established and the umbilical cord lengthens and thickens in the response to the rapidly increasing needs of your baby.
• The foetus and placenta are the same size, but the foetus weighs more.
• Your baby can suck, swallow and blink.
• Meconium, your baby’s first bowel movement is beginning to collect in the colon. What's with my body: To a new jeans-size
• Your uterus is rising between your navel and pubic bone and it is becoming clearly visible that you are pregnant. Pop goes your jeans button!
• Your body may secrete more fluids such as sweat, nasal congestion and vaginal discharge as your blood volume increases.
Go back to the complete list of Pregnancy week-by-week updates