That burning feeling
Can't sit, can't lie down, can't eat - and suffer if you don't...You never really know heartburn until you're pregnant.
Heartburn affects most women at some stage of pregnancy. It is commonly linked to eating, bending or lying down.
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Eat slowly.
- Increase your intake of complex carbohydrate foods such as rice and potatoes.
- Avoid food that aggravate heartburn, such as rich, fatty or spicy food, chocolate, citrus fruit and coffee.
- Don’t drink large amounts of fluid with a meal.
- Stay upright for an hour after eating.
- Lie on your right side. It allows gravity to empty the stomach.
- Sleep propped up with pillow or elevate the head of your bed if possible.
- Wear clothes that aren’t too tight around the waist.
- Drink milk or eat yoghurt.
Consult your doctor before taking any over the counter medication