The stretch mark challenge
Pregnancy is a leading cause of them; how do you feel about stretch marks?
Image: via Shutterstock
A conversation was going on between several Twitter friends
recently. It was like a stretch marks support group. They chatted about how much having stretch marks affects their self-esteem, and whether or not it is possible to get rid of them. They commiserated about feeling uncomfortable in swimming costumes, having to cover up for photos and about the way pregnancy had changed their bodies. On the other hand, some women don’t mind them
at all.Most women get them during pregnancy
According to Wikipedia, “between 75% and 90% of women develop stretch marks to some degree during pregnancy”. They are a form of scarring on the skin which is a different colour to the rest of the skin, usually in a pattern of lines. There are different kinds of stretch marks, although they are mostly associated with the rapid stretching of skin
during a period of growth such as puberty, pregnancy or bodybuilding.Acceptance or denial?
Opinions differ on whether or not it’s possible to prevent or ‘get rid’ of them. There are many creams on the market claiming to erase or mask them as well as plastic surgery
, laser treatment and even exercise regimes which purport to eradicate them
.Here are some comments from our Facebook page where we asked our friends how they feel about stretch marks:
How about you? How do you feel about your stretch marks?
- Chantelle: “Have to accept them, even though they seem to be increasing lol! Just hope they all disappear after baby is born”
- Tracey: “I love mine... They are like natures tattoo to remember the amazing things I achieved( my 2 beautiful kids)”
- Carmen: “I have embraced them because during my twin pregnancy, they've spread all the way from my tummy to my lower back! I have none on my thighs Thank God but yes these stretch marks remind me everyday about my life changing journey...”
- Dionne: “I was one of the lucky ones, only have 2 small marks on my breast. I put my good luck down to lathering Justine tissue oil all over my body the minute I found out about both my pregnancies”
- Mhimhi: “every stretch mark in my body tells a story. They do not bother me @ all...!”
- Devashnie: “Don't like them, but I've learnt to live with them...”
Suggest a vote