Mom set on fire during C-section
Woman whose abdomen started burning during birth fails to win lawsuit.
By Scott Dunlop
Article originally in Parent24
In what must be one of the most horrific birth accidents
possible (and least anticipated), a woman’s abdomen burst into flames during
her Caesarean section, according to Jezebel.com. Fortunately, Kira Reed gave
birth to a healthy daughter 2 years ago, but she has just failed to win a
lawsuit against her obstetrician, as he was “not responsible for prepping her
In case you’re wondering how a woman can be set on fire
during a C-section, here’s what happened:
Reed was prepped for surgery using an antiseptic skin
preparation called DuraPrep. A month prior to Reed’s surgery, DuraPrep had
issued a fire warning relating to the product. The product was found to be
behind Reed’s abdomen bursting into flame during the op.
Nurses and an anaesthesiologist stated that they hadn’t been
aware of a fire hazard associated with the product (which is commonly used in
such procedures), and that they hadn’t been trained in how to use it in a
manner which would prevent fires breaking out.
A plastic surgeon commenting on Reed’s injuries said they
were similar to burns seen on napalm victims.
Reed reached a settlement with the hospital concerned, but
the obstetrician was deemed not personally liable.
Would you reconsider an elective C-section knowing that you
could risk being set on fire?