Child, 4, dies after swallowing battery
4-year-old Australian girl dies after swallowing common lithium battery.
A 4-year-old girl has died after swallowing a lithium battery, the kind of battery found in many toys, watches and TV remotes. The button-sized battery, if swallowed, can cause internal bleeding, reports the
The girl was admitted to her local hospital with internal bleeding after swallowing the tiny battery on Sunday morning. Despite being airlifted to a bigger facility, she died on Sunday afternoon.
What happens when you swallow a lithium battery?
According to an expert, the batteries which are found in many households are potentially deadly when swallowed:
- They frequently become lodged in the oesophagus, near the voice box.
- Once lodged, the battery can start burning as a result of a chain-reaction with saliva within the hour.
- The chemical reaction burns a hole through the oesophagus, the aorta, the spine and “whatever else is in there”.
- If swallowed completely, the battery will cause internal bleeding in the stomach which will require major medical assistance to repair, including multiple surgeries.
How to deal with old batteries:
It’s highly recommended that parents dispose of lithium batteries correctly by recycling them. Locally, Pick n Pay has launched an initiative
to aid households in the recycling of batteries, your local store should have a clearly-labelled recycling bin for this purpose. Alternatively, discuss the recycling of batteries with your electronics dealer.
Take a look at the Parent24 checklist of other potential dangers
in your home:
25 toddler dangers at home
Follow Parent24 on Twitter or join us on Facebook.
Are you responsible when it comes to recycling batteries?