They sparkle and shine, and look like lots of harmless fun – but be aware of sparkler injuries this Guy Fawkes Day.
UK Firework Safety compiled the following sparkler safety tips:
- Store sparklers and other fireworks in a closed box in a cool, dry place;
- Always light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves;
- Never hold a baby or child if you have a sparkler in your hand;
- Plunge finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out
- They can stay hot for a long time;
- Don't take sparklers to public displays. It will be too crowded to use them safely.
Children and sparklers:
- Never give sparklers to the under 5s - they will not understand how to use them safely;
- Always supervise children using sparklers;
- Give children gloves to wear when holding sparklers;
- Avoid dressing children in loose or flowing clothes - they may catch light;
- Show children how to hold sparklers - away from their body and at arm's length;
- Teach children not to wave sparklers near anyone else or run while holding them.
In an emergency:
- Cool the burn or scald with cold water for at least 10 minutes.
Cut around material sticking to the skin - don't pull it off;
- Don't touch the burn or burst any blisters;
- Cover the burn with clean, non-fluffy material - cling film is ideal - to prevent infection;
- If clothing catches fire, get the person to stop, drop to the floor and roll them in heavy material like a curtain;
- Get advice from your doctor or accident and emergency department at your local hospital.