Who is looking after your preschooler?
SPONSORED: Not all parents are in the position to stay at home with their little ones. Choosing the correct Early Childhood Development (ECD) facility is crucial. Here's how.
So who’s looking after your child when you’re not?
As a parent or caregiver, you want what’s best for the children in your care. That’s why it’s important for you to ensure that your child’s Early Childhood Development (ECD) facility (crèche) is registered with the Department of Social Development.
The Western Cape Government has developed very specific guidelines for all registered ECD facilities to comply with, making sure that your child receives the right kind of care, nutrition and stimulation.
Why you should send your child to a registered ECD facility
- At a registered ECD facility, your child will be in a safe environment, where they can grow, learn and play.
- All learning programmes are registered with the Department of Social Development and all practitioners are trained professionals.
- As part of the First 1 000 Days approach, registered ECD facilities must provide healthy meals that are appropriate for the different stages of a child’s development.
What can parents do?
It’s the right and responsibility of a parent or caregiver to expect that their child’s ECD facility and learning programme are properly registered. Always remember to ask the facility to show you their two certificates:
- The first certificate is the ECD partial care facility registration certificate, and
- The second is the ECD learning programme certificate.
Make sure that they have been registered within the last five years as it is crucial for all ECD partial care facilities to reregister every five years.
To confirm if your child’s ECD facility is registered, contact the Department of Social Development by calling 0800 220 250 or emailing Dsd.Ecd@westerncape.gov.za.
For more information you can also visit https://www.westerncape.gov.za/dept/social-development
By providing the right learning environment for our children, we can ensure a brighter future for all BETTER TOGETHER.