Teach your children words and activate their imaginations with this simple game.
- Cardboard or large cardboard cards
- Magazine pictures or printed pictures from the computer
Gather pictures of everyday objects, cut them out and glue them onto the card or cardboard. For durability have them laminated at the local printer, or use contact paper to cover them.
Now you have a set of picture cards to play games with. You’ll be surprised how these can take you from infant to toddler to preschooler.
- Tape in a crib changing often
- Show the picture to the child and encourage them to repeat the word after you. Later see if the child can recall the word for himself
- Show the child a picture and ask her to bring it to you: "please bring me a dolly"
- Point to colours in the pictures, name them and see if you child remembers them. You can also try: "What colour is Barney?"
- Use the cards to count: "How many wheels does the car have?"
- Encourage their imagination: "Tell me a story about this picture"