Make finger puppets
Let your child’s imagination soar with these easy-to-make finger puppets
Difficulty rating: ***
Time to prepare: **
Cleaning up: **
Activity time: 30 minutes per puppet
This activity will develop your child’s conversation skills, use of language, reasoning, imagination and creativity, as well as fi ne motor skills.
- To download the templates for the puppets pictured, click here. Or make your own designs.
- Cut the shapes out of felt (available from craft stores) or any other thick fabric, ask your tot to choose which colours he wants for each character.
- You will need two pieces of felt of the same shape for each finger puppet.
- First sew on the details, such as the eyes or nose on the top part of the finger puppet, using a coloured thread and a needle. You can also draw this on using a felt-tip pen.
- Place the two pieces of felt on top of each other and sew them together on the sides, or use a sewing glue to create a doll that will fit on your tot’s finger.
- Use the glue to add finishing touches, such as some detail for the ears or teeth
- Slip the puppets over your fingers and show your child how to play with them
- Together with him, decide on a name for each of the animals and tell a little story to get his imagination going. Introduce some of the puppets as “good” and “bad” characters and let your tot keep the puppets in a box in his room so that he can play with them whenever he wants.
A few pieces of felt and a bit of creativity and your tot has some cute finger puppets. Get your little one to help you glue the features on to the puppets or let him help you cut the shapes out the felt using a blunt-nosed pair of scissors.