If your son is gay
Here's how do deal with his news.
About 10% of men are gay. In other words we would expect approximately 10 in every 100 boys to have an exclusively gay sexual orientation in adulthood. After the initial surprise, when it’s all boiled down the concerns of parents of a gay son are just the same as those of any parent.
- You want your son to have a happy life. You hope that he will handle his sexuality in a responsible and self-respecting way. And you hope that he will not move away into worlds that are beyond your reach or understanding.
- Gay life certainly has its sleazy side, often born of loneliness and rejection. But if you love and support your son, he will be less likely to drop into self-loathing or despair, and more likely to be self-respecting and responsible about his sexuality.
- There are many happy and successful gay men and women, and life will be better for gay teenagers when gay adults are more visible. Seek out positive role models with your son, and allow him to be gay in his own way, without stereotypes.
- Religious beliefs can be an obstacle to acceptance of a gay child, but living morally and within the precepts of a religious framework is just as possible for gay people as for straight people.
- With your support and understanding, your gay son can have a happy and fulfilled life, including steady relationships and a family, if he chooses to.