Would you buy an iPad for your teen?
Is it worth buying expensive technology for a teenager? Vote and tell us what you think!
"Mom, can I please
get a Blackberry/Android/iPhone? All the kids at school have one!" How many times have you been bombarded with prices and subtle-as-a-stampede hints?
The expanse and advancements of today's technology is nothing short of jaw-dropping but is it the right choice for your teen?The smartphonePros:
- Being able to reach your teen on a constant basis via BBM or Whatsapp and not having to pay a cent (or at least very little) is a definite upside.
- If you don't have reliable internet access at home, the connection a smartphone provides can be a great help for school projects.
- Letting your teen take care of a pricey mobile phone can be an invaluable lesson in responsibility.
The iPad (or tablet)Pros:
- The constant chat feature of BBM or Whatsapp can open up a world of "chatting" possibilities that you wouldn't want your teen exposed to. Sexual promiscuity is a definite problem surrounding mobile phones and can lead to much worse than just sending naughty snaps to one another.
- In the case of the Blackberry, where the internet is free, downloading porn is all too easy. It's definitely something that needs to be monitored by Mom and Dad.
- That pricey mobile phone can be a huge dent on your pocket if you choose to take the cost on yourself. Perhaps workout a chores-based allowance plan that can help pay towards the cost.
- The tablet can be a great addition to a technology-loving teen's collection, especially if the desktop PC is always being hogged by their younger siblings. They're also a great choice for educational games, reading and surfing the internet.
- Tablets can easily be used on wi-fi only which means you get to monitor the internet usage.
The Kindle (or ereader)Pros:
- Tablets can be pricey and having your teen carry one around to school and back can be daunting. Rather opt to have the tablet used at home only.
- As great as tablets are when used for projects, they can be just as easily used to watch YouTube or browse porn. Best keep an eye on exactly what the tablet is being used for.
- If your teen is an avid reader then this is a great gift! The lightweight, easy purchasing of books and e-ink display (which means no stress on the eyes) is a pleasure. It can also be a good way to encourage teens who aren't fond of reading. Plus they're fairly cheap!
Would you purchase your teen some expensive tech? Vote and comment below!
- Besides the problem of having a teen who wants to do nothing but read on your hands, there isn't much of a downside to your teen having an ereader. The books can be a little pricey if you can only purchase from international webstores like Amazon.com but so is a regular book!
Suggest a vote