The MXit glossary
MXit can be a confusing place for those who don’t use it. Check out our word list to clear things up.
In the world of MXit things can get confusing. Not sure what Moola is or what exactly a Tradepost is used for? We’ve got your back.
- Contact: The term used when you’re friends with someone on MXit. You can have countless contacts on your MXit.
- Moola: This is the currency used by people on MXit to enter competitons, chat on chatrooms and buy skins or wallpapers. R3 will get you 300 Moola.
- MultiMx: A MultiMx is basically a private chatroom which you can invite your contacts to if you need to have a group discussion.
- Joebanker: He’s the MXit contact you chat to when you buy Moola. It’s completely automated dependant on the options you choose.
- Tradepost: Tradepost is one of the main ways that MXit will correspond with you. Competitions, companies and virtual ‘markets’ can all be accessed through Tradepost.
- Mxchange: Think Gumtree, but on a real small scale. Items can be bought and sold via this contact.
- Freestyler: To become a Freestyler you would need to pay 500 Moola (or R5) a month for certain privileges. For instance, a Freestyler has unlimited plays on games like tiXi, whereas a non-Freestyler can only play for free 3 times a day.
- Skinz: These are downloadable wallpapers that change the way your MXit looks.
- Emoticons: These fun little faces are used while chatting. They range from happy to excited to sleepy.
- Chat Zone Block: This feature was specifically created for parents and their peace of mind. Chat Zone Block gives parents the ability to block Chatzones so that the MXit user can only chat with invited and known contacts.
- MXit: The word MXit stands for ‘Message Xchange it’ and is pronounced ‘mix it’. But please, don’t spell it that way.
If you want to know more about MXit and what your child would be faced with when signing up and starting out, check out MXit 101.
Are you clued up on MXit? How do you feel about it?