The great teen biker debate
Would you allow your teen to get a motorbike?
Image: via Shutterstock
The skinny kid who (or so it seems) has only just retired his Pokemon collection is asking for a motorbike. On the one hand, it makes sense- after all, if he (or she) is mobile, it’ll take the pressure off mom and dad to provide lifts everywhere. He could even get a job in the evenings as a waiter to pay for petrol. Trouble is, if you live in the city, the roads are not kind to bikers- potholes and motorists who don’t “think bike” represent a huge risk to your child.What causes motorbike accidents?
According to a survey quoted by Arrive Alive
, “The age group 16-24 is overrepresented in accidents, the motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle.”
We asked our Facebook friends
the question, and the response was diverse:
- No, not with the pothole situation and all the minibus taxis on the road. Never! Wanted to buy a bike when 16, they will have to wait till 18 for a car. Quinn
- Never in a million years. I know too many parents that have lost their children that way. Nikki
- Nope the way motorists disregard bikers on the road...nope not a chance. Marlonnicky
- Depends on the child. If they're super responsible as teen then yes. If not then no. Robyn
- Yes, but after lessons, and only in his later teens. Lee-Anne
- Yes - depends on the child and only once they have the licence and have had some lessons. We all ride in our family. Wendy
So some parents are totally opposed to their teens riding motorbikes, while others are more accepting of the possibility (although with restrictions such as lessons, of course). Maybe it makes a difference if your family is a biking family?Follow Parent24 on Twitter, or join us on FacebookWould you allow your teen to ride a motorbike?
Suggest a vote