13 ways to spot drug use
Do you suspect your child of drug abuse? Every parent should know the signs.
Authorities have said that Jon Bon Jovi's daughter, 19-year-old Stephanie, has been rushed to hospital after overdosing on heroin in her college dorm room, reports Channel24. It's a stark reminder that drug abuse is no respecter of age, money or status. It can be a part of anyone's life. Even your child's.
Know the signs
If you're worried that your child could be taking drugs then you need to know what to look out for. These are the main signs or symptoms that your child could possibly be a drug user.
These signs may seem clichè or like normal "teen behaviour", but if you have your suspicions then don't be afraid to dig a little deeper. Your instincts may save your child's life.
- A sudden change in his/her circle of friends.
- Constant secrecy about where they go and when they will be back.
- A sudden unwillingness to bring friends home and to introduce them to you.
- A sudden drop in school performance.
- A lack of interest in activities that were formerly enjoyed, such as sports.
- Fast disappearance of pocket money with very little to show for it.
- Sudden change in sleeping patterns – either too much or too little or at odd hours.
- Money disappears from your purse, or small items disappear from the house – often things that would not be noticed immediately such as tools from the garage.
- Your child looks unhealthy and exhausted and seems to have lost their enthusiasm for life.
- Your child's eating habits have suddenly changed, resulting in either weight loss or weight gain.
- Your child's moods fluctuate wildly.
- Secrecy. You get the feeling that he/she often says things just to keep you happy and that you are often lied to.
- Your child no longer wants you to clean his/her room.
Hidden dangers of the herbal high - It’s not just the well-known drugs that pose a threat to teens. Look out for these seemingly harmless names.
Parents: look out for these drugs - The first step is to educate yourself. Here is a list of drugs that are commonly abused in South Africa.
'Pee in here, kid' - The law allows for responsible drug testing in schools.
What would make you suspect that your child is using drugs?