Miley Cyrus tells parents what they should teach their kids about sex. Is she a role model or out of line?
Miley Cyrus is the ripe old age of 19 and apparently feels that this qualifies her to share just how wonderful she thinks sex is and what parents should teach their kids about the act.
In a recent interview with Amanda de Cadenet, Miley shared how sad it makes her when girls perceive the act of sex negatively. She also went on to share this little gem of parenting advice.
"It's the only way we create, and it's the only way the world keeps going. So it's ignorant not to talk to your kids about it or (not) make it seem as magical or cool as it actually is. (Kids) have a TV, so they know what sex is. So educate them and let them know... it's a beautiful thing, and it is magic, and it's when you connect with somebody. And it isn't how much you're worth.Your worth isn't based on that, your worth is based on how you feel about yourself."
Role model material?
Okay then. I hear where Miley is coming from but let's just be honest and admit that this girl is all over the place. She started out as a Disney star and now she's doing sex scenes in her upcoming film, LOL? Whether she likes it or not, she's in the public eye and young girls will be looking up to her. But should they?
In my opinion, these are the pros and cons to Miley Cyrus being the woman your daughter looks up to:
- She's been in the public eye for a long time and definitely has the potential to sway kids in the right direction. I don't see it happening but the potential is there.
- With regards to her sex comment above, she's right that parents should not shy away from educating their kids about sex.
- She's also correct that young women should not tie their self worth to who will have sex with them or not.
- She's been caught snapping nude photos of herself.
- She parties with women like Demi Moore who are much older than her.
- She forgets to wear pants. (This is the worst offence in my opinion - I really hate this trend)
- She also makes rather sexy music videos which would not be great for your child to mimic.
- And lastly, I wrote this piece defending Miley's body. She was being accused of being "fat" but she owned it and she even said she "loved herself". Fast forward 6 months and she's skeletally thin and "flirting with anorexia". So sad.
To sum up, Miss Cyrus may think she's all grown up and has the right to tell parents how to raise their kids but she still has a lot to learn.
Follow Parent24 and Robyn on Twitter
Would you be okay with your kids having Miley Cyrus as their role model?
By: Robyn Addinall