Mom loses limbs to tiny dog
Mother of 4 loses 3 limbs after small dog bite.
By Scott Dunlop
Canada: Mother of four Christine Caron had to endure the amputation of both legs and one arm after being bitten by her small pet dog, a Shih Tzu, reports the Mail Online. After the bite which she had dismissed as of no consequence, she allowed another of her dogs to lick the wound, which subsequently became infected with bacteria, sending her into septic shock. The sepsis caused the circulation to her limbs to stop:
"When I woke up my legs were black and my arm looked sort of mummified,"
Small danger, big consequence
She’s in recovery, and determined to regain the use of her remaining hand, and insists that she’ll be back in action for the sake of her four kids as she says they "still need her":
- The bacteria Capnocytophaga canimorsus is common in dog saliva.
- After the infection took hold, doctors were forced to put the 49-year-old woman into an induced coma for six weeks.
- The blood flow to her limbs was cut off, leading to the amputation of three of her limbs.
- Doctors are unsure whether or not the infection is related to the initial bite or resulting from allowing the other animal to lick the wound.
- The resulting infection is potentially fatal.
Get it checked out
According to experts, the bacteria found in cat and dog saliva is not normally seriously harmful to healthy adults, however Caron herself recommends that if someone is bitten by a dog or cat and feels unwell, they should visit a doctor for advice. Of course, training a pet dog and treating it well will help to prevent dog bites or dog attacks.
Are you careful to clean animal bites on your children?