10 top potty training tips
Parents share their tried-and-tested potty training tips.
By Facebook Fans
Potty training can be a parenting nightmare! But nonetheless, it's a nightmare that every parent has to endure. There are a few lucky potty trainers who have it easy but for most part it's a struggle that takes a lot of patience and endurance.
Article originally in Parent24
We asked our Facebook fans for their potty tried-and-tested potty training tips for you to try.
- Before you can potty train a child properly, the child needs to be off the dummy and bottle... Just makes potty training so much easier. - Natalie
- With my daughter I put her toilet-shaped trainer in the bathroom because I noticed that she copies everything that the adults were doing so having it right there was a sure way to progress from her trainer to the actual device and it worked. Also complimenting her each time she uses it, really really worked in boosting her confident and motivating her! - Ntsiki
and be patient, it doesn't happen overnight... Mentally prepare yourself
for accidents, with this in mind I successfully potty trained my boy
within 3 days. - Mercia
left my son, until he was ready. I'm potty training him now, and he's
2.5years old. He's still on the bottle, that he will leave too when he's
ready. - Chanelle
- Reward system. Patience. Big fuss when they are successful. No fighting. - Anneli
- Wait till they are ready. Be patient. They didn't learn to walk in 2 days and potty training is using new muscles. - Julie
consistent, encourage and praise them when they go to the potty, but
most importantly don't punish them for accidents! They have to want to
be potty trained and have to be able to communicate their needs.
Patience, understanding and encouragement is what they need! - Brigitta
mine every half hour, even most of the time nothing happened. It took about a
week but still had mishaps. I agree patience is the key word. - Marianna
training in undies works so much better than in nappies... You gotta make
them feel somewhat 'naked'! And for boys, mini hot pants (like dad's)
work better than speedo type undies. - Debbie
Do you need help potty training your little one? Ask your questions in our forums!
- Don't put pressure on the child, they all learn at their own pace. - Margo
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook
Share your potty training tips with us in the comments!