5 Android apps for parents
We take a look at 5 great Android apps that can make your life as a parent a little easier.
1. My Pregnancy Today
Being pregnant in the digital age is awesome. Can I eat sushi? What's happening with my baby right now? How many more weeks to go? The best part is that you don't have to buy those clunky pregnancy books anymore. There's an app for that! And it's free. We love the design of this app. It lets you know exactly how far along you are, to the day and it has a really cool developmental section where it tells you what is happening with your baby this week.
- Your pregnancy day by day: Learn how your body’s changing, what’s ahead, and how to cope
- Foetal development images: See what your baby looks like each week
- Pregnancy checklist: Reminders to keep you on track with decisions, appointments, and more
- Videos: Watch your baby grow in the womb, and witness moms giving birth
- Birth clubs: Connect with other women due at the same time
- Due date calculator: Quickly find your due date
- Nutrition guide: Manage your weight gain with tips and recipes to help you eat well
- Track your progress: Countdown to your big day with weekly notifications
2. WebMD Baby
Having a baby can be both wondeful and scary. What is that rash? Does she have a fever? Why is she crying? The WebMD Baby app is like having a paediatrician in your pocket. Although an app will never take the place of an actual doctor it will help you answer that question of "Is this serious enough for the doctor or can I deal with it on my own?". It gives new parents quick access to trusted and physician-approved baby health and wellness information and is personalised for a baby’s specific age.
- Height/weight measurement charts
- Feeding schedules
- Sleep timer
- Nappy tracker
- Personal baby book, allowing parents to organize and share baby’s memorable moments as they happen
3. Family Messenger
These days kids have quite hectic social and extracurricular schedules. One kid is at hockey practice while the other needs to be at ballet in 15 minutes and another has extra maths. Chances are that your kid has a cellphone and this app keeps you all in contact with one another.
- See where family members are at any time with our GPS, Wifi and Cell Triangulation location technology
- View a location history breadcrumb trail for everyone on your account
- Check In with one touch to let everyone know you are OK
- Get help in an emergency with our Panic alarm. We’ll send a phone call, email and text message with your GPS coordinates to everyone on your contact list
- See safety points in your neighbourhood, such as hospitals, fire departments, and police stations
- Receive Monthly Safety Reports that let you know about new threats and resources in your area
- Communicate in emergencies with our Emergency Messenger technology. Our panic button can bypass downed phone lines giving you a lifeline to family members even if most infrastructure is down
- Upload your family’s vital disaster information so you can be ready in a medical or missing person emergency
4. Out of Milk
Have you ever taken some time to make a grocery list only to forget the piece of paper at home? With Out of Milk you can quickly add to your shopping list so you always have it with you. It's easy to share shopping lists so that if hubby needs to get the things just share it with him. A great way to never forget when you run out of things like bread, milk, cereal or random things that you rarely get like paper plates or lemon curd.
- Multiple shopping & to-do lists
- Sync and share your shopping lists with others in real-time
- Access your lists online from anywhere on http://www.outofmilk.com
- Scan or manually enter items in your shopping lists
- Plan grocery list
- Pantry lists let you inventory anything so you always know what's in your pantry
- Share lists by text or email
- Displays grand total and running total on your shopping list
- View price history while editing a shopping list item
5. Banking Apps
When you're a mom you're hectically busy and sometimes there are some serious grown up stuff to be done like pay the bills, transfer money or buy your teen airtime. Standard Bank and FNB have made their customers lives a little bit simpler by developing apps that allow you to do all the things that you either need a PC or ATM to do. So whether you're waiting for your son to finish rugby practice or you're just climbing into bed after putting the baby back to sleep and you've forgotten to pay someone, just whip out your phone and fire up the app.
Standard Bank app features:
- View your available and actual account balances in easily navigated categories.
- Get graphs that compare the state of your accounts.
- See net balances on all your accounts.
- Search for specific transactions and view your provisional, 30-day, 60-day and 90-day statements.
- Transfer funds between any of your linked accounts.
- Pay beneficiaries that have been preloaded onto your banking profile. These are added on Internet banking or by visiting your nearest branch.
- Buy airtime from Vodacom, MTN, Cell C, Virgin and 8ta. Telkom Worldcall cards can also be topped up. Browse your device’s address book to easily buy prepaid.
- Send money to any other Standard Bank South Africa customer using just their cellphone number (if they are registered for Standard Bank’s Mobile banking service) or their Standard Bank account number).
- Locate your nearest Standard Bank ATM, branch or AccessPoint and see a map of how to get there.
- View financial indicators for commodities, foreign exchange rates and shares.
- Quickly and easily calculate vehicle repayments, home loan repayments and home loan affordability.
- Get important numbers (such as reporting lost or stolen cards) at the touch of button.
FNB app features:
- Access your banking accounts (view account balances; detailed transaction history)
- Make Once off payments and payments to your recipients
- Make and receive GEO Payments to and from other App users in close proximity to you
- Add recipients for payments
- Update, view and delete recipient details
- Transfer funds between your accounts
- Buy prepaid products (Vodacom, MTN, Cell C, 8.ta and Virgin Mobile)
- Top up your FNB Connect Talk and Surf prepaid accounts and purchase FNB Connect Surf ADSL Bundles
- Send and receive messages (powered by FNB Connect), message other FNB Connect users for FREE!
- Use Location Based Services to find FNB ATMs or Branches
- Make and receive calls (powered by FNB Connect), including FREE calls to FNB Call Centre’s
- View Forex Rates
- Apply for new FNB accounts
- Send Money to an eWallet
- View Transfer and Payment History
- Contact your Relationship Banker
- Stop Payments
Download: FNB| Standard Bank
What are your favourite apps that make being a parent easier?