Which is your favourite child-friendly supermarket chain, and why?
Shopping is either your enemy or your friend, when you’re a parent. Perhaps it’s your one chance to get out of the house while your partner looks after the baby, or maybe it’s the centre of mayhem for you and your terrible-twos-tantrum-throwing toddler. The problem is, we all have to eat (and get clean), so we’re forced to go. Some supermarkets are better than others at catering for moms, dads, babies and children.
Maybe you like the convenience of ready-made meals at Woolies, or the variety you can find at Pick n Pay and Checkers, or perhaps your household is on a budget, so you head for Shoprite. You may even head to the corner KwikSpar because it's closest to get to with a pram...
Here are some reasons why parents prefer some supermarkets over others:
- Nappy changing rooms (preferably not just in the women’s loos).
- Wide aisles for trolleys (and parents carrying bulky nappy bags).
- Plenty of great family food (you don’t want a shop that runs out of essentials, forcing you to make two trips).
- Ready-made (and healthy) food (a life-saver at the end of the day when you’re too tired to cook).
- Friendly advertisers handing out free samples
- Some are licensed to sell wine!
- Trolleys with seats for babies and toddlers, or even special kid’s trolleys.
- A toy aisle with cheap toys to distract kids.
You have to be brave to go shopping with kids
. Anyone who has left a trolley-full of groceries to deal with a kicking, screaming kid will understand that.Why is your favourite supermarket your shopping venue of choice?
By: Scott Dunlop