Avoiding child support
Parents can go to extremes to avoid paying child support.

Child support can be a thorny issue for many divorced parents or parents living separately. Some people go to extremes to conceal their income in order to avoid paying.

Read more:

Maintenance, divorce and kids

Access issues

In South Africa, child maintenance laws are clear. The person found guilty of not complying with the maintenance order could face up to one year in prison, according to divorcelaws.co.za.

Here are ten points to consider when it comes to maintenance:

•    Both parents have a joint duty to care for the child
•    Maintenance is ordered according to the reasonable needs of the child
•    It is divided between both parents according to their mean/ability
•    It is expected to include: provisions for clothing, housing, dental and medical care, education and training, and, where applicable, recreation
•    The duty to pay remains in place until the child is self-supporting, adopted or dead
•    If over the age of 18, the child must provide proof that support is still needed, i.e., not self-supporting
•    If the parents are unable to pay maintenance paternal and maternal grandparents and even older siblings may be given the duty of providing maintenance
•    If one parent is unemployed, that person must provide proof that they’re seeking work and may also apply for a child support grant
•    If the maintenance order is disputed, an appeal can be made in certain circumstances
•    Maintenance and the right to contact children are two separate issues.

What happens if you don't pay

While some parents are able to resolve amicably the issue of maintenance, others encounter life-changing problems that may involve incurring massive debts, being blacklisted or even involving the law.

Some issues that crop up are when one party withholds maintenance to control the other, or one threatens the other party with leaving the country with the children. Some refuse to pay if their ex has remarried or has since had other children.

Even if your partner has a new partner, it is still your duty to pay maintenance, and you may not, by law, refuse access to your child’s parent.

Have you encountered any problems with maintenance? If you’d prefer to remain anonymous, you can send them to chatback@parent24.com and we’ll share them without publishing your name.

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.

Jobs - Find your dream job

Sales Representative in Ulundi

Roots Sales and Merchandising

Junior sales trainer

Port Elizabeth
Roots Sales & Merchandising
R4 000.00 - R7 000.00 Per Month


Eastern Cape
Roots Sales & Merchandising
R1 000.00 - R1 500.00 Per Month

Property - Find a new home