How to get child support grants in South Africa
If you are in need of financial assistance, you can get a grant to help you raise the child you look after. Here's everything you need to know, from the South Africa Government Services.

Updated 9 March 2018. 

What is a child support grant?

Administered by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA), social grants are income transfers paid to South African citizens who need financial assistance. 

Who qualifies?

Caregiver must:

  • be a South African citizen or a permanent resident or a refugee;
  • reside in South Africa;
  • be the main caregiver;
  • meet the requirements of the means test.

Note: You cannot get this grant for more than 6 children who are not your biological or legally adopted children.

The child must:

  • be 18 years old or younger;
  • have been born after 31 December 1993;
  • reside in South Africa. 

Also read: How to register your newborn baby's birth

How to apply for a child support grant:

  • You can apply at your nearest SASSA office.
  • The form must be completed in the presence of a SASSA officer.
  • You will be given a receipt once the application is complete. Please keep this receipt as it is your only proof of registration.
  • Provide birth certificate of the child.
  • Provide identification document of caregiver.
  • Please note that you cannot apply for more than six non-biological children.

Note: If you are too sick to travel, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf with a letter written by you authorising the application.

If you don’t have an ID or the child’s birth certificate, you must submit:

1. An affidavit on a standard SASSA form in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.

2. A sworn statement by a reputable person (eg councilor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion) who knows the applicant and child.

3. Proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs.

4. A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable).

5. Baptismal certificate if available.

6. Road to Health clinic card if available.

7. School report if available.

Also read: How to register your child's birth if you missed the 30-day deadline

When do you receive your social grant?

If your grant is approved, you will be paid from the date on which you applied. You will be issued with a SASSA payment card – this card is used to access the money.

These are alternative payment methods:

  • Banks including Postbank;
  • Institutions – contact your nearest SASSA office. 

If your application is unsuccessful

  • You have the right to request SASSA to reconsider its decision.
  • If the reconsidered decision is still unfavourable, you have the right to appeal to the Minister of Social Development (Mrs Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu).
  • You will be informed in writing of the reasons your application was refused. 

Note: Should you choose to ask SASSA to reconsider their decision, your submission for reconsideration should be done within 90 days of notification. 

Suspension of the child support grant

The child support grant will be suspended under these circumstances:

  • Changes in financial circumstance;
  • The outcome of a review;
  • Failure to cooperate when a grant is reviewed;
  • Committing a fraudulent activity or misrepresentation;
  • Where a grant was approved in error.

Lapsing of grants

The grants will lapse in the case of:

  • Death;
  • Admission to a state institution;
  • If the grant has not been claimed for 3 consecutive months;
  • If you cease to be a refugee;
  • If the child for whom the grant is received turns 18.

Note: The intention of the child support grant is to ensure that children attend and complete schooling. It is therefore a requirement that a school attendance certificate is produced for children aged between 7 and 18 years. However, failure to produce this certificate or failure to attend school will not result in the refusal to pay their child support grant.

Means test

SASSA will evaluate your income and assets in order to determine whether you qualify for income assistance. As of 1 April 2017, an unmarried caregiver whose annual income is below R45,600 will qualify for a social grant. The means of married caregivers will be combined, if their combined annual income is below R91,200 they will qualify for a social grant. 

How much will you receive from SASSA?

The Child Support Grant has increased from R380 to R400 per month. This takes effect from 1 April 2018. There will be an increase from 1 October 2018 to R410.

Who to contact:

Click here to visit the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) website or call 0800 601 011.

Source: South African Government website

Have you or anyone you know applied for a child support grant? What was your/ their experience? Email us at and we may publish your comments. Please let us know if you wish to stay anonymous. 

Read more: 

Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive Parent24 stories directly to your inbox, and stand a chance to win a Spree voucher worth R 1000!

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.

Jobs - Find your dream job

Perm Consultant

Johannesburg CBD
Teleresources (Pty) Ltd

Contracts Manager

Cape Town
Tumaini Consulting
R600 000.00 - R700 000.00 Per Year

Pharmaceutical Buyer

Tailormade Solution

Property - Find a new home