"I fell pregnant as the result of adultery. Now the biological father ran away. Do I have a right to take him to court for maintenance?"
What does the law say in dealing with maintenance disputes when one father doesn't know the child is not biologically his? Luzanne Kinnear, a legal professional at Law for All, answers our reader's sensitive question.
"Children’s rights are protected in South Africa, and they have the right to family care/ parental care, basic nutrition, shelter and basic health, amongst" (iStock)

A reader reached out to us with a tricky question recently, so we approached an expert for advice. Here's the question and answer in full:  

Dear Parent24,
I committed adultery after 7 years of marriage as the result of not conceiving from hubby. By then my marriage was already a mess. I fell pregnant as the result of adultery.
Although hubby doesn't know that the baby is not his, I always make it a point that I'm the one who is supporting the baby 95%. I do not like hubby to spend for the child and this was made possible by the support from the biological father.  
Now the biological father ran away. Do I have a right to take him to court for maintenance?  

Dear Anonymous,

We can absolutely understand why you may be overwhelmed and somewhat confused at this point - it’s a lot to deal with. Firstly, you are doing the right thing by prioritising the well-being of your child.

Of course, raising a child is no walk in the park and you definitely need as much support - financially and emotionally - as possible. We would suggest having an open and honest conversation with your husband about who the father of the child is.

Also see: A single mom shares her story: 'In my experience, the parent that refuses to pay maintenance can easily get away with it forever'

You could even suggest couple’s counselling. This will, by no means, be easy, but think of it being a united front for sake of the child. Children’s rights are protected in South Africa, and they have the right to family care/parental care, basic nutrition, shelter and basic health, among others. 

That said, even if you and your husband have the means to look after and raise the child without financial assistance, the biological father is still legally obligated to pay child maintenance. And, yes, you definitely have the right to take him to Maintenance Court. 

According to the law, a child has the right to be maintained by both parents, so the biological father still has to support his child. The court might require the father to take a paternity test to prove that he is the biological father (he will be liable for the costs of this).  

Must read: Maintenance money: to some, more divisive than divorce

It’s also worth knowing that there have been amendments to the Maintenance Amendment Act. The new law will make it difficult for habitual child maintenance defaulters to access any form of credit. 

In essence, continuous refusal or neglecting to pay will result in a credit record blacklisting.What’s more, the updated amendment will make it easier for payment dodgers to be tracked since maintenance officers will be allowed to use cell phone service providers to assist them in tracking defaulters. Take comfort in knowing that the law is on your side.

Lastly, as a legal side note: your husband is also legally entitled to hold you liable for any costs he may have incurred while raising the child thinking it is biologically his.

Because this is a complicated matter, it’s best to speak to a lawyer and get expert advice on the way forward.

Yours in Law,

Luzanne Kinnear

Legal Professional at LAW FOR ALL

Chat back:

Send us your burning questions, we might approach an expert on your behalf and share their answers. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

Sign up for Parent24's newsletters.

Read more:

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.