Emergency! What to do
Stay calm, adopt the SAFE approach, perform CPR in case of drowning or choking (we show you how), call emergency services. Here's what you need to know.

First of all...

  1. Before you act, adopt the SAFE approach:
  • Shout for assistance,
  • Approach with care,
  • Free the victim from dangers, and 
  • Evaluate the victim.
  1. Protect yourself and the injured person from danger or further injury.
  2. Look out for hazards such as oncoming traffic and fire.
  3. If you cannot reach the person without putting yourself in great danger, leave him or her and call the emergency services immediately. Remember that you will not be able to help anyone if you become a victim yourself.


Drowning or choking:

  1. Do child CPR if the child is not breathing or has no heartbeat.
  2. Always take a child for medical observation after a near-drowning incident.

How to perform CPR on a baby

How to perform CPR on a child

Ambulance or doctor?

Call an ambulance (10177) if:

  1. You don't know what to do or are uncertain of the severity of the injury,
  2. Someone is unconscious or struggling to breathe,
  3. You suspect a back or neck injury,
  4. Someone may be having a heart attack,
  5. A person is seriously injured,
  6. A small child is injured, unless you have another adult with you who can drive,
  7. There is serious bleeding that you cannot stop.

Call the doctor:

  1. Read When to call the doctor...
  2. Refer to our symptom charts to see whether the condition is serious: rashes, breathing difficulties, headaches.


Be prepared

Keep emergency numbers next to your home telephone and in your cellphone's address book.

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.