Our children’s nanny was injured at work, can she claim compensation?
A guide to claiming from the Compensation Fund, by LAW FOR ALL.
As a caring employer, be sure to assist them with claiming for compensation. (iStock)

 In this day and age, it’s quite common for busy parents to employ nannies to help them raise and take care of their children.

For working moms and dads, staying at home for long periods of time to look after the little ones is not financially viable, so they turn to an experienced caretaker to help lighten the load; in fact, nannies become so closely involved that they are often considered "part of the family".

Of course, while nannies can certainly become an integral part of the household, the fact that these caretakers are employees and that labour laws apply to them should not be forgotten. And that includes the possibility of claiming compensation if injured or falling ill while on the job.

What does the law say?

"Under South African law, people who are employed by a private household to look after children (i.e. nannies) are considered "domestic workers", and, thanks to a recent ruling by the Pretoria High Court, excluding them from the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act (COIDA) would be unconstitutional," says legal advisor at LAW FOR ALL, Nomzamo Ndlovu.

What injuries are covered under COIDA?

More specifically, this Compensation Fund covers workers who are injured while carrying out their day-to-day duties on the job or contract an illness because of their working environment. These "occupational diseases" are ones caused by substances or conditions that the worker was exposed to at the workplace.

Workers can claim compensation if they are exposed to these working conditions and then get the related disease. Medical evidence must be provided to prove that the disease was cause by conditions at work.

What are the types of compensation?

Medical costs

Medical expenses paid for up to 2 years from the date of the accident or diagnosis of the illness (this can include the costs of being transported to and from hospital)

Temporary disability (when an employee is unable to work or fulfil all their duties because of an injury, but will recover)

To claim, the worker must be booked off by a doctor for more than 3 days. If booked off for a longer period, the worker will get paid out for the entire time they are unable to work (including the initial 3 days).

If a worker can only carry out some of their duties, the fund will pay 75% (three-quarters) of the difference between what they got paid and what they would’ve been paid before the injury.

If they cannot work at all, the fund will pay out 75% (three-quarters) of their normal monthly or weekly wage.

Medical expenses are also covered by the fund.

Worker can claim compensation for temporary disability for 1 year. This can be extended to 2 years, after which the Compensation Commissioner may decide that the condition is permanent and grant compensation on the basis of permanent disability.

Permanent disability (an injury or illness that a worker will never recover from, for example: losing an eye)

The "seriousness" of the injury or illness will determine whether or not the employee will be able to ever work again or find their more difficult to do.

Disabilities are rated from 100% to 1% depending on the seriousness. For example, a 100% would be the loss of both hands or the loss of sight. The loss of a small toe is a 1% disability.

After a doctor writes a report, the Commissioner and other doctors will determine the seriousness of the disability.

  • For a disability that is more than 30%, a worker will receive a monthly pension (the amount is determine by what the wages were)
  • For a 100% disability, an employee will get paid 75% (three-quarters) of their wages.
  • For a less serious disability, the Commissioner will work out the monthly payment, which will be paid out for the rest of their life.
  • For a disability that is less than 30%, a once-off lump sum will be paid out.

Death benefits

If a family member that earns money to support the family (breadwinner) is killed by an occupational injury or disease, the family can claim from the fund. The amount of compensation that will be paid depends on the relationship to the person who passed. The total amount paid to the family can’t be more than the pension the dead family member would’ve received.

When will compensation claims not be paid?

"Claims will not be paid if they are made more than 12 months after the accident or death or after the disease is diagnosed; or if an employee is off from work for 3 days or less; the accident resulted from a worker’s own wrong doing – unless it’s due to a disability-; or an unreasonably refuses to have medical treatment," clarifies Ndlovu.

A step-by-step guide for Nanny’s who want to claim from the Compensation Fund

Inform your employer as soon as possible (verbally or in writing). Make note of anyone who witnessed the accident.

The form that needs to be completed is WCL 2: Notice of Accident and Claim for Compensation.

Your employer must then report the accident to the Compensation Commissioner, even if they don’t believe your story, by submitting Form WCL 3: Employer's Report of Accident.

The employer must report a workplace injury within 7 days or within 14 days of finding out that you have an occupational disease.

You should check that all the details on the form are correct.

Within 14 days of seeing you, the doctor must fill in form WCL 4, stating how serious the injury was and how long you are likely to be off work. This is sent to your employer, who sends it to the Commissioner.

You don’t pay for the doctor's fees but if you want a second opinion, you’ll have to pay for this.

If the injury will take a long time to heal, the doctor must send a progress report (WCL 5) to the Commissioner every month until the condition is fully stabilised. This informs the Commissioner of how long you’ll be off work.

Finally the doctor must submit a final doctor's report (WCL 5) stating either that you’re fit to go back to work or that you’re permanently disabled. The doctor must send this form to the employer who sends it to the Commissioner.

When you go back to work, your employer must send a resumption report (WCL 6) to the Commissioner stating that you’re back to work and how much you were paid in compensation.

Both you and your employer should keep copies of all the forms.

When the first doctor's report has been submitted with the accident report, the Compensation Commissioner will consider the claim and make a decision. A claim number will also be allocated. This number should be used for all paperwork relating to a claim.

If you disagree with the decision, they can appeal the decision within 90 days by submitting form W929 to the Commissioner.

Assist with the process

Remember, losing out on income due to an illness or injury can have devastating consequences for a nanny and the people they provide for, so as a caring employer, be sure to assist them with claiming for compensation.

Compiled for Parent24 by LAW FOR ALL

Chat back:

Share your story with us, and we could publish your mail. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

Sign up for Parent24's newsletters.

Read more in our Nanny Series here

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.

Jobs - Find your dream job

T3 API Gateway Integration Engineer

R650 000.00 - R695 000.00 Per Year

Senior Audit Manager

Black Tie Recruitment
R55 000.00 - R70 000.00 Per Month


North West
Black Tie Recruitment
R700 000.00 - R800 000.00 Per Year

Property - Find a new home