SA's new kids' travel laws
Come 1 October 2014 you'll need an unabridged birth certificate to travel with your child.
A new law in South Africa means that any child, whether they are South African or not, leaving and entering the country will be required to not only have their passport but also an unabridged birth certificate when boarding.

The law was implemented to curb human trafficking. According to the Department of Home Affairs approximately 30 000 children a year are trafficked through South Africa with half of them being under the age of 14.

If your child was born after the 14th of March 2014 you should have been issued with an unabridged birth certificate. Otherwise you have to go down to your nearest Home Affairs office with your child's ID book and apply for one. It will cost you R75 and may take up to 8 weeks to process. 

According to Travelstart there are a few cases that are exempt:
  • Domestic travel within SA
  • School tours
  • Cruises to nowhere - the ones that just go out to sea and return to the same port. has a handy infographic for seeing what documents you'll need when travelling with a child.

Image courtesy:

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.

Jobs - Find your dream job

Sales Representative in Ulundi

Roots Sales and Merchandising

Junior sales trainer

Port Elizabeth
Roots Sales & Merchandising
R4 000.00 - R7 000.00 Per Month


Eastern Cape
Roots Sales & Merchandising
R1 000.00 - R1 500.00 Per Month

Property - Find a new home