Our IVF journey 1: Egg harvest
Finding out we couldn’t conceive was just the beginning.
(Getty Images)
That morning was probably one of the most heartbreaking mornings of my life; it felt as if a horse had just kicked me in the stomach.

We had just found out that for us to conceive naturally would be impossible.

We felt alone, like no one could ever understand what we were going through. When you find out you may not be able to have children of your own, a huge void opens in your heart, in your life.

My mother was the first person I told - I just sat on her bed and wept. My hubby was in denial and like most men kept his sorrow to himself.

The next day I started researching on the net and found what could be a solution: in vitro fertilization (IVF). I went to see my gynae and told him of our predicament, and he referred us to the fertility clinic.

We sat down with the doctor as he explained the procedure to us: all the pros and cons of in vitro fertilization. It was a very complicated and delicate process we were about to embark on, but we were positive and we thought our problems were solved. We were confident it would work on our first treatment, it all sounded so simple and failure-proof even though our doctor had told us we only stand a 30% chance of success.

I was popping out of my skin with excitement. This was a whole new adventure for us as a couple, new territory and I was convinced there would be no more heatache.

Two weeks of hormone therapy followed, which included a morning subcutaneous (meaning just under the skin) injection in the area around my belly button of hormones to suppress ovulation. There was also a nightly injection in the buttocks of a hormone which makes your body produce several or more eggs. This caused hyper stimulation of my ovaries which was rather uncomfortable, it felt like I was walking around with a soccer ball on either side of my uterus.

Then finally came the morning to harvest the eggs and sperm, which would be fertilized in a petri dish. Depending on the quality and growth of the fertilized eggs, they would be placed back in my uterus on either day 3 or day 5.

So after some yummy Dormicum, a very confused me lay down on the table and the doctor proceeded to remove my ova. I can’t say it was painful, as I can’t really remember much, except that the nurse told me later that I in no uncertain terms told the doc I would crush his crown jewels if he hurt me.

We went home and I slept off the drugs, and went back to work the following day, praying every minute that both the ova and sperm were of good quality and would take. Eventually after 3 nail-biting days the clinic contacted us, and told us we need to come in on day 5 to plant the eggs. There were 8 of the 12 which took and looked good, so they would put back 3 and freeze the others.

Have you made the decision to try fertility treatment? How was it for you?


Our IVF journey 2: First tries
Our IVF journey 3: It’s triplets!
Our IVF journey 4: Carrying triplets
More on

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.