My birth story
This mother almost died giving birth, but is grateful for her only baby.
I had an appointment with my gynae on the 27th of November 2008. I was 38.5 weeks pregnant with my first child and he had no plans of moving down for birth. I so wanted a natural birth, but was cautioned that if I were to go into labour with him positioned as he was and as high as he was it may end in a c section as there was fear of cord prolapse. My doctor was incredibly supportive and agreed to give us more time to let nature take its course.

At 1.11 (I remember thinking oh Nelson) the very next morning I woke up in tremendous pain. I first thought that I had a problem with my tummy. Waddled to the bathroom and after a minute the pain subsided so I climbed back into bed. A couple of minutes later more pain and then I realized what was going on.  I woke my partner and asked him to get his stopwatch. He panicked a little. My contractions were coming every 4 minutes and lasting what felt like a lifetime.  He contacted the hospital and then I spoke to the midwife and was told to go in immediately.

When we arrived she hooked me up and I was told I was in labour. She checked for dilation and  then told me to lie on my side immediately and left the room. She came back in and told me that my doctor was on his way to perform an emergency c section.  Things happened so quickly. I was prepped and taken to theatre. My son was born at 04h16 and weighed a healthy 3.5kg.

An hour later I got to my room and started to feed my son, but then felt faint. The midwife came in and took one look at me and the bed and rushed over to lower me and then left the room again. Suddenly there were so many people in my room and the midwife informed me that my doctor was on his way back. Another sister started to massage my stomach which is when I realised that I must be haemorrhaging. 

My gynae got to me in record time and after about 20 minutes informed me that I would have to go back to theatre to stop the bleeding.  I remember feeling really calm throughout. I remember waiting to go into theatre and slipping in and out of consciousness and I remember being told to stay awake.

I woke up some time later and was told by my anaesthetist that he was so sorry but I had lost my uterus. I was given a blood transfusion and recovered quickly. My doctor later explained that my son’s cord was presenting in front of his head so I am lucky my waters didn’t break. He also explained that either my uterus was exhausted or I had had an amniotic embolism and none of the usual methods helped my uterus to contract. 

It has taken me nine months to  come to terms with what happened. I now realise how lucky we are to have my gorgeous son and how lucky I am to be here to enjoy him. 

I am truly grateful to my incredible doctor and the staff of Panorama Medi clinic that helped bring my son into this world and who saved my life that day.

Share your own birth stories with us! Email them to

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.