'My mother would have died during labour': A reader asks Caesarean critics not to judge
"It is unfair to place your expectations on another. We must remember that there are women who can't give natural birth, even if they wanted to."
I feel that we, as women, are too critical of one another. (Getty Images)
Source

In a recent Parent24 poll, we asked our Facebook community whether they thought birth via Caesarean is 'unnatural'?

For the majority (85%) the answer was no, while the remaining 15% disagreed. 

 

The belief that Caesarean births are 'unnatural' or even (at the truly extreme level) an invalid form of birth is ridiculous, but some people obviously still think this. 

Read more here: Is birth by Caesarean' unnatural'? 

While we at Parent24 feel that there is no 'unnatural' way to bring a baby into the world, this reader perfectly explains why we need to be less critical of how mother's bear their babies.

Her letter follows: 

'Every woman should have the right to make her own birthing choices' 

I feel that we, as women, are too critical of one another. We as humans should realise that everyone is different and unique.

It is unfair to place your expectations on another. We must remember that there are women who can't give natural birth, even if they wanted to.

It is just physically impossible for them. My late mother was one. Both myself and my brother were born via planned C-sections.

I won't go into detail about her medical history, but if it weren't for this type of delivery me and my brother would not have been here, and my mother would have died during labour.

We had a very loving and strong relationship.

I know that the rate of C-sections in SA is very high compared to other countries, but every woman should have the right to make her own birthing choices.

These choices should be informed and individualised and not influenced by the opinion of very critical people.

So, ladies, we are our own worst enemies.

Let us build each other up, be understanding of our individuality and stop pressuring each other through comparison. 

Thank you, 

Anonymous 

Chat back:

Share your story with us, and we could publish your mail. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

Sign up for Parent24's newsletters.

Read more:

More on
c-section

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy
NEXT ON PARENT24X
 
 
 
 
Directories

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.

Jobs - Find your dream job

Perm Consultant

Johannesburg CBD
Teleresources (Pty) Ltd

Financial Manager

Johannesburg
Mass Staffing Projects
R750 000.00 - R900 000.00 Per Year

Senior Assurance Manager

Johannesburg
Mass Staffing Projects
R720 000.00 - R900 000.00 Per Year

Property - Find a new home