Q&A: Struggling to concentrate
My 8 year old son struggle to concentrate. This was picked up by his Gr1 teacher, he is now in Gr3 and the teacher has said the same. He struggles to start and complete a task. He went through a very traumatic period, as my husband and I got divorced in Nov 2007. But I am concerned that his problems to concentrate started before that (Gr1). It has been recommended that he be examined by a Neurologist and an EEG is done. I am also concerned that medication could do him harm?

I can see that you are very concerned. Before any medication will be prescribed, a good assessment is absolutely essential. I suggest an educational psychologist or an occupational therapist for this. I would also advise seeking therapy if your son was very traumatised by the divorce.

After these assessments you can consult a Paediatric Neurologist or your Paediatrician, to discuss the possibility as well as the pro’s and cons of the medication.

If the diagnoses of ADHD is correct, the right medication will turn his life around!! It is also important to cut refined sugars (sweets and cold drinks) as well as preservatives out of his diet. Supplements of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty oils, magnesium, zinc and B vitamins are important as well.    

More on

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.

Jobs - Find your dream job

Sales Executive

UDM International (Pty) Ltd
R5 500.00 - R35 000.00 Per Month

Data Analyst

Cape Town
Tumaini Consulting
R540 000.00 - R800 000.00 Per Year

Intermediate Java Developer

Tumaini Consulting
R540 000.00 - R780 000.00 Per Year

Property - Find a new home